Eli started a Mommy Day Out program on Friday mornings this school year.
I needed to get Eli into some type of social group since he has no desire to leave home or the presence of his mommy and daddy.
I wish I could sit here and say what a wonderful, exciting morning it was. I wish I had a cute little picture of him holding a chalk board saying...
"1st Day of MDO, September 6th, 2013"
But, No, I don't! I barely got the kid up, dressed and to school!
We had tried the whole "talking it up" a couple weeks prior and making a big deal of Ashtyn starting school - but he could have cared less and wasn't going to have it. If you asked him if he was excited for school he'd reply...
"No! I'm not going to school!"
So I knew the morning of I was going have to be creative in how we would actually get him there...
I got him up and we did our normal thing - had coffee together, watched Curious George and ate a bagel. Then I got him dressed and asked him if he wanted to go on a bike ride...
Of course he wouldn't say No! to that, so I loaded him up and off we rode to MDO!
When we pulled up to the church where his MDO is at he started yelling at me...
"No! I don't want to go to school! I stay with you..."
Over and over again, while clinging on to me like a monkey!
I walked him inside and all my fears of what this day would be like came true!
Eli freaked out! He screamed, which I planned for, but I did not plan for him throwing his trash truck across the room, screaming at his teachers, then proceeding to hit and kick his teachers as they tried to console him! Seeing him totally lose control made me loose control and we were then both crying!
I was crying! I expected him to cry, but I never expected him to be so mean and out of control. I think emotionally I just felt out of control and embarrassed all at the same time and my only reaction was to cry! Miss Susan took him into another room and was able to calm him down so he could possibly enjoy his first day of MDO...
I waited outside the doors until he stopped screaming and then I pedaled home with tears streaming down my face! I went for a long run and just prayed the whole time for my little boy...
Luckily, the teachers take pictures throughout the class and then email them to us parents so we can see what they did that day.
I title this one...
"Eli's Mug Shot"
He sure looks like he's enjoying himself...
Notice he's not too far from a teacher...
He did manage to make it through his first day of MDO, and I honestly wasn't sure if we would be returning the following Friday...
The first day of MDO was absolutely horrible, and anyone who would ask him if he liked his new school he'd quickly reply... "No!"
But, thankfully, the second day was much better. I again had to trick him into getting him there, but I dropped him off at the door, scooted him in and didn't look back. He did cry, but he managed to get over himself and actually enjoy his time at MDO!
Ashtyn was so easy and naturally wanted to go to preschool and other activites, but Eli is the complete opposite! I think this is a good stepping stone and thank GOD we have three years until I have to drop him off at Kindergarten. Hopefully, we can slowly cut the cord over the next three years so he's not hanging on my leg on his first day!
I love you Eli! I am so proud of you for being so brave at your new school!
I hope we have a successful year - it does help that they serve chocolate cupcakes at snack time!
Sugar is always the way to my kid's hearts!
If you have any extra prayers send them Eli's way...



No comments:
Post a Comment