For our last camping trip of the summer we headed up to Estes Park and stayed at Spruce Lake! I absolutely LOVE Estes Park - it is so close to home, so PRETTY and has so many fun things to do. So this camping trip was highly anticipated and it couldn't have been a better weekend away with my husband and sweet kids! Last year we stayed at Jellystone and decided to try a new place this year. The camp ground was quite nice with lots of amenities including a river, a lake for fishing, putt-putt, clean bath house and the best part - it was so close to town! We pulled in on Friday night, made dinner and got to know our new little home...
The campground didn't allow camp fires, which was a little disappointing, so once it got dark we snuggled inside the camper drinking beer, watching movies and playing scrabble...
Eli of course made a game of climbing over the table and jumping onto the couch...
We woke up to a beautiful morning and went for a little nature walk to see the river and the lake...
We had a big SURPRISE planned for Ashtyn that day and she was so antsy all morning long waiting for it. So after having breakfast we headed to Cowpoke Corral for Ashtyn's surprise!
I finally found a place where they allowed four year olds to ride alone on a horse - usually you have to be six! Of course they don't let you ride double though, so Eli and I missed out, but I was still excited for Ashtyn to get to take a horse all by herself up into the mountains...
When we pulled into the stables and Ashtyn could see the horses her eyes immediately lit up! She knew right away what her surprise was and couldn't be more excited...
Good thing she packed her cowgirl boots!
Ashtyn's horses' name was Shadow and was very sweet to her...
Usually Ashtyn is very shy and timid at things, but she climbed right up on that horse with no fear, looking like a natural! So cute...
Matt saddled up on Big Jake! I heard Big Jake was an older horse that went very slow up the mountain and would sporadically stop to pee or just look around...
While Ashtyn and Matt were off on their horse ride, Eli and I walked around the amazing grounds of where this Horse Farm was located and then played at the playground and sandbox...
Ashtyn said they saw deer while they were up there on the trail...
I am very jealous I didn't get to go - so next year its my turn!
I had originally thought while Ashtyn was on her horse ride, Eli could ride the little ponies they had. So I bought him a ride, but he kept saying
"No, too scary" and "No, too big"
(It seems lately he is always saying "No" to everything followed by an excuse...)
and after watching one of the ponies "poop" he was totally grossed out, so he opted to NOT take a pony ride...
Ashtyn of course was sad to get off the horse when they returned, so she jumped at the chance to take Eli's pony ride. She quickly saddled up on Peanut and we walked around the farm...
Ponies seem to me to be alot like Donkeys - very stubborn! We kept trying to walk and Peanut kept wanting to eat the grass, which I am sure was not allowed! So finally Matt had to take the rains and get Peanut moving along!
I think Ashtyn could have stayed there ALL DAY LONG! She got so sad when we had to leave and kept asking if we could go for another ride...
After horse back riding, we were all starving, so we headed downtown to the River Walk for some lunch. It was perfect.
After lunch we walked up and down the river and of course stopped for a snack at Starbucks and then played at the park before heading back to camp...
Eli took a nap when we got back, so we laid around the camp site and got to relax!
After dinner we headed over to the putt-putt where Ashtyn and Eli played for hours...
Its amazing to me how the simplest things entertain kids!
Eli found it so amusing to stick his face in front of this tube while Ashtyn would roll a ball down it, eventually hitting Eli in the face - and he would GIGGLE!
Then they would do it all over again, and again, and again...
It was quite entertaining to watch...
The weekend was perfect!
I love that we can get away for a couple days and enjoy the mountains we love so much!
It was the perfect way to end our summer and hopefully we can make it happen every year because Estes Park is quickly becoming our favorite little getaway!
What a great summer we had and I hope my babies will always remember these camping trips - I am already excited for NEXT summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment