I am starting to see a common theme when we decide to have a "Weekend Getaway" with friends who also have children. I always have this "fantasy" of what I think the weekend is going to be like and then "BAM" reality hits and it is far from what I had dreamed of...Oh, where do I begin?
We had originally wanted to plan an adult only weekend away with our friends, the Ohlheisers, up in Breckenridge at my Grandma's condo. Well, with not being able to find people to watch our precious kids, we decided to just bring them along - now a Family weekend away...well then on Thursday we found out that Breckenridge was a no go, so still trying to salvage our weekend, we then landed on the idea of going up to the cabin in Red Feather...
Our kid free weekend up in Beautiful Breckenridge in a nice condo with hot tubs had now turned into a weekend in Red Feather with four kids in a cabin with NO running water - not quite a "fantasy" come true, but Hey a weekend away - I am always game for that.
So we spent all day Friday packing and decided to pull out of the Ohlheiser's driveway at 9am so we would have a full day of playing in the snow and riding the 4-wheelers on Saturday...
Well by 10 am we were headed North on I-25 to Red Feather and that set the tone for the entire weekend...
Wind gusts of 100mph, 5 foot deep snow drifts which kept us from being able to not only play in the snow, but park our trucks any where near the cabin, so Jason and Matt were left to haul all of our crap from the road to the cabin in deep, deep snow! Four kids trapped in a small cabin, Adam's cold turning into the flu and a VERY restless night sleep for all - all 8 of us sleeping in the main room of the cabin spread over 2 air mattresses and Eli waking up at 2am bright eyed ready to go repeating "trash truck, mama, daddy, baby, puppy" for over an hour...
Needless to say Jason and Stacey started packing at 7am to leave and by 9:30 we were all on the road back home - we spent less then 12 hours up at the cabin!
Among all the chaos and let downs we still managed to have fun and as always laughed a ton and created some unforgettable moments...
We all attempted to play in the snow, but the wheelers couldn't even get through the dirt roads without getting stuck...Maybe next time!
At one point during our twelve hour vacation us adults sported some "high fashion"...
Here's my fav - Stacey holding Alex, drinking a beer with hot pink 80's slippers!
Jason on his way out to get the truck and wheeler unstuck...
Matt putting out the VIBE - as usual!
What can I say...the man is sexy!
And even me - who takes great pride in my fashion sense, had to sport my Great Grandma's slippers since I forgot mine...
It truly was not the weekend we were hoping for and when all said and done we are completely EXHAUSTED, but I can still say I enjoyed my time with The Ohlheisers - like always!
Maybe next time we will get to play in the snow, ride 4-wheelers, go sledding and have a good nights rest and maybe, just maybe spend more then 12 hours up at the cabin...
Maybe next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment