Monday, December 13, 2010

Reality Check

Is this my life?

I am only blogging about this because I think one day I will find humor in the situation and I really just want to capture what 1 day of my life is currently like...

Friday was supposed to be a traditional Christmas outing - Meet Nana at the mall in the afternoon for some Christmas shopping, go to Build-A-Bear for the kid's Christmas bears, enjoy dinner at Red Robin with Papa and Matt and then visit Santa.  Sounds fun right?  Well, add a 6 month old who I thought was over the flu, but wasn't, and a 2 year old who didn't nap well and you have quite a party!  Shopping went ok...Ashtyn constantly whined, but Eli contently sat in the stroller.  Build-A-Bear put a smile on Ashtyn's face, so off to dinner we went...

Red Robin was very busy when we arrived, so we had the choice of either waiting 45 minutes for a large table or we could squeeze the six of us in a 4 person booth in 5 minutes.  Well we opted for the small booth given we had bed times right around the corner and still needed to see Santa.  So the six of us squeezed into a booth with all of our shopping bags, and then the fun began.  Eli got hungry so I made his bottle and fed him...afterwards he somehow got a hold of a coaster and had been sucking on it for who knows how long.  When I finally realized what he was doing - little pieces of the coaster were missing - oh crap!  So we starting swiping his mouth, but found nothing in there so we assumed he swallowed the pieces.  Next Eli grabs a french fry - which I gladly let him suck on since we are slowly trying to introduce solids, well once again the taste of the fry made him gag so he proceeded to throw up his entire bottle along with the pieces of coaster all over himself and me - the fluid just kept pouring out of his mouth.  You would think someone would help me at this moment in time - but Matt and my dad just stared at me with their chins dropped like they couldn't believe that just happened.  As soon as we got all that mess cleaned up, Eli then decided to poop - not only did it smell horrible, stinking up the whole area, but it starting leaking out everywhere - so I headed to the bathroom with throw up and poop dripping everywhere to clean us up the best I could - people just looked at me in disgust as I walked by their tables...

Once we got back to the table, our dinner arrived.  By now Ashtyn is not enjoying being stuck between Matt and my dad - so she is bouncing back and forth between them and will not sit still - my poor dad, I am not sure how he even ate and Matt was scrunched up in the corner barley able to move his arms - So finally after watching Ashtyn bounce around to the point of complete annoyance I switched seats with my dad (not sure why we even sat where we did in the first place), so I could manage my child.  Well, as I am sitting down Ashtyn knocks a glass off the table and it breaks all over the place.  Which then makes Eli upset which then snowballs into making Ashtyn upset - again people's eyes are just staring at us - and at this point I have still not even had a piece of my food - So I scoop both kids up and head out to the waiting area so I can allow the sever to clean up the mess and give the people around us some peace.  I can only imagine what people were thinking about us - we looked like a circus show stuck in a small booth!  So I ask myself these questions...
  • Why do I still think it's ok to go out to dinner with a 6 month old and a 2 year old?
  • Why would I ever agree to sitting in a booth for 4 people when we have six people and two of them require more space then adults?
  • Why do I leave my house?
Needless to say we never made it to Santa.  I was DONE after dinner and just wanted to go home.  I had throw up and poop all over me, a crabby baby, a whining little girl and a major headache!  To be honest I really didn't enjoy my day, not quite the Christmas Outing I had pictured in my head - and this set the pace for the entire weekend - but I guess this is just my reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment