Monday, November 14, 2011

Keystone

Earlier in November we took a trip up to Keystone to hangout with the Harm's family at their condo.  We always LOVE making the trip up their and spending some time enjoying the beautiful mountains and relaxing with our friends.
I am not going to lie - this trip was a little rough...
Most of it was due to the fact that Eli and Ashtyn were getting head colds which made for super whiny kids and we all know how much fun that is and what made it even worse is the idea that Shannon and I headed up to Keystone on Thursday night with the kids, by ourselves - no husbands.  When we first planned the trip I imagined this earlier departure being much different - it goes something like this...
We would load our cute, healthy kids up and make the beautiful drive up to Keystone, where we would grab some pizza, head to the condo, get in our pjs and watch movies with the kids till they went to bed and then Shannon and I would have "girl" time and catch up on gossip and maybe have a pillow fight - jk!  Then the next day we would wake up, have breakfast and go shopping at the Outlets until our adorable husbands joined us for dinner and drinks. 
Sounds great right?
Well that is FAR from what happened, and let's just say we spent a two hour car ride with screaming, whiny, sneezing kids.  We finally got to the condo and there were no husbands there to unload our car, so I unloaded while Eli screamed his head off.  Finally after the mounds of crap we brought were unloaded we got the kids ready for bed, but they didn't want to go to bed, so we were up till ten getting them settled down and by then us girls were pooped!
Praying for a better day on Friday...
Well again, my kids woke up with head colds, making them extremely whiny and clingy.  Ashtyn broke her elephant at the grocery store that morning which then put her in a bad mood the rest of the day...so lunch and shopping were NOT fun!
At several times throughout the day I admit I completely lost my patience. 
Probably the icing on the cake was when I decided to go to the grocery store with my kids...
Let's just say the Dillion City Market is the busiest grocery store I have ever been too.  I could barely think about what I needed to get and of course I was the idiot pushing the big cart with the car on the front around annoying everyone in the packed isles while Eli hung out the side pulling items off the shelves.  It was a horrible shopping trip and the worst of it all is I managed to lose two pacifiers - TWO!
On my way out I grabbed a Starbucks to calm my nerves, and prayed the kids would just fall asleep in the car and hoped Matt would soon arrive to save me...
The wonderful husbands did soon arrive and the trip immediately got better.  We headed to Breckenridge for the night to enjoy pizza and drinks with the Pierce's.
I never knew or appreciated how great my husband is and how much help he is with our kids - seriously I would have never survived the weekend by myself.
And for the record, next time, Shannon and I will be heading up to Keystone alone while Matt and Kole handle the kids - not getting the short end of the stick two times in a row...

 I woke up in a much better mood Saturday, and even though the kids were still feeling yucky we stayed cooped up all day in our pjs relaxing and snuggling in the condo - which I think is a perfect way to spend a cold, winter day.  It was even snowing on Saturday which made the atmosphere that much better.  I made some yummy Tortilla Soup for dinner and we watched movies the rest of the evening!




 This picture pretty much sums up Eli's time at Keystone...
 Even though the trip started out ROUGH it ended great.  I think our kids are just at the age where it's going to be alot of work to do anything and not every trip is going to go perfect.
So this trip will be one I will never forget and hopefully one day it will no longer be a reality for me and I can just laugh at it all...



Thanks Harms for a weekend away - sorry we weren't better company.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment