Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SpeechLESS

Ashtyn is clearly at that toddler stage where she observes everything around her and is constantly asking the questions Why?, What's that for?, How Come?, Because Why? and so on...Matt and I are always coming with answers to her questions, and you would be surprised how many times I am stumped and just left with making some explanation up to stop the asking of WHY?  Over the past couple weeks though, we have been left speechless...

A couple weeks ago we were at the mall shopping and I had to take Ashtyn to the bathroom.  We went into the stall and while Ashtyn was doing her business, a lady rushed through the door, went into the stall next to us and basically UNLOADED (if you know what I mean) .  As the lady is "unloading", Ashtyn says for all to hear, "WOW Mommy, did you hear that lady pooping!  How come she has to poop?"  I just looked at her (trying not to laugh) and quickly got her finished, hands washed and out the door.  I know that lady did not come out of her stall until she knew for sure we were gone out of pure embarassment...I was left Speechless, but totally chuckling inside!

Next, Matt had to get his prescription refilled and took Ashtyn with him.  Like always the Kaiser pharmacy is packed full of people so they had to sit and wait for awhile.  They happened to sit next to an older man, who looked like a retired cowboy and then on the other side was a very overweight woman.  Well, the lady sitting next to them was the first to have their named called.  The lady got up and with her walker slowly walked past Matt, Ashtyn and the Cowboy.  As she was walking by, Ashtyn says, "Daddy, that lady is HUGE!".  Matt was totally embarrassed, but what made the situation worse was the old Cowboy started laughing, out loud!  Matt again was left speechless...

The last incident of embarrassment just happened today while again at the mall running errands.  We were headed towards the car through Macy's when we walked passed a man, who clearly had several disabilities and was walking very slowly with a walker.  While passing, Ashtyn again says, "Why he walking so weird Mommy?, I just looked at the man and smiled in embarrassment and he smiled back.  Again, I was just left speechless...

How to teach a 2 year old about when it's better to keep some questions or comments to ourselves is now my new challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment