Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chili Time!

Eight years ago I vowed to Matt in front of my family and friends to learn how to make green chili - and I have done just that!  I was not much of a Mexican food fan before meeting Matt, and really the only green chili I'd ever ate was of the can kind - Stokes - gag!
I was quickly set straight and ever since eating Matt's family's green chili it was only natural to become an expert at learning and making the recipe. 
The key ingredient are the chilies - no kidding!  But, you can't just head to King Soopers and buy green chilies - nope - you have to wait for the great month of August to roll around and then they start to harvest the famous green chilies! 
We ran out of chili in July, so we were anxiously awaiting for the farms to start picking the chilies!  As soon as we got back from Lake Powell we headed down to LuLu's farm in Brighton to find this welcoming sign...
 That was music to our ears!
We walked inside and ordered two bushels of Marisol!
The farm roasts them for you which is so great!
 That's like heaven sitting in a box!
After letting them cool down we divide them up into baggies, so we can freeze them and use them throughout the year for our green chili, hamburgers, guacamole and whatever else you want to add a little spice to!
Typically the chilies are pretty small, but this year they were much bigger!  Especially, this one I found - it had to be 12 inches long!  I made green chili that night with the fresh chilies and it was AMAZING!  The best thing about marring Matt - the green chili recipe!
I'm going to share the recipe and also so my kids have a documentation of it...
So here it is...but remember you need the MARISOL chilies!
Ingredients:
1 pound pork, cubed
10 Marisol green chilies, roasted
 Canola Oil
Flour
Water
Directions:
1 - Brown the pork in a large pot - I typically put a thin layer of Canola oil on the bottom and then add the pork.  I also add garlic salt to the raw pork in the pot - as much as you desire.
2 - As you brown the pork, skin the chilies (this is an art in itself) and puree them
3 - When the pork is done add flour until the oil is soaked up and the pork is coated
4 - Add the pureed chilies and mix with the pork
5 - SLOWLY add water (1 cup at a time) and stir while you dissolve the pork, flour, chilies and water into whatever consistency you desire - thin or thick.
6 - I typically let it boil on medium heat for about thirty minutes and then SERVE with homemade tortillas (good luck on those)
7 - Enjoy!
Hopefully my kids will make the green chili for their families one day!
To me it's better then spaghetti sauce - gasp, I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment