Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Trot

Gobble, Gobble!  On Thanksgiving morning I trotted across the finish line to complete my first 5K EVER!  Yeah me!  I actually did it - I completed the entire 3 miles in 20 degree weather - running, no walking and I finished with a time of 30 minutes and 26 seconds - Not bad for a lady that just started running 8 weeks ago!  I am not going to lie - it was hard - especially since the last 10th of a mile was up hill and I truly felt like giving up, sitting down and throwing up - but with all those people cheering you on - and not to mention the 80 year old man who was speed walking as fast as I was running, there was  no giving up - I just kept on going, and I am so glad I did.  It was such a great feeling to cross the finish line and have all that hard work pay off.  The whole training process has been fun and challenging.  I have a new found LOVE for running - not only is it great exercise but I am enjoying the Colorado outdoors like I have never experienced before.  It is so fun to find a trail and just run down it...never thought I would say that, but now I love it and can't wait till my next 3 mile run - where will I go?  Again, I thank Laura for inspiring me and for all the support along the way!  Now I just have to keep it up, so I have already signed myself up for another 5K in January - Oatmeal 5K in Lafayette!  My goal next year is to run the 10K at the Anthem Turkey Trot, so hopefully that will be enough to keep me motivated.  I think I can now call myself a runner - yep, I am a runner...

Here is me after my big race enjoying the best prize EVER - my Starbucks, YUM!

1 comment: