Sunday, June 24, 2012

10K Trail Run

After partying like a Rock Star on both Friday and Saturday night I had to get up at 6am Sunday morning to run a 10K Trail Race in Louisville!  What was I thinking?
Well, I had originally thought the race was on Saturday, but NO it was not, so I rolled my tired butt out of bed, strapped on my running shoes and headed out the door to run in 100 degrees!
Sounds fun - right?
 I am not going to say this was my favorite race - EVER! 
 Besides for being a little on the tired side and the weather being just way TOO hot for running, the 10K race I was supposed to run actually turned into 9 miles - 9 miles instead of 6 miles!  It seems they forgot to properly identify where you were supposed to turn around on the course and head back to the finish line, so all of us 10K runners kept on running the Half Marathon course!
The course was on the Coal Creek Trail - which is one of my favorite places to run - and we were originally supposed to turn around before South Public Road in Lafayette - well we ended up running all the way to 120th!  Let's just say some people were really pissed and just stopped right there about to pass out!  I amazingly just kept running - after mile 4 my legs were numb anyways, so I knew if I stopped I probably would be done, so I just kept running - kinda like Forest! 
Run Forest Run!
I did complete the 9 mile run including two hills - which I was very proud of, but was so, so tired and exhausted by the heat.  It pretty much wiped me out the rest of the day. 
 I did learn running is mainly a mental game!  I think physically I could have kept running for another couple miles, but mentally I was just not prepared to be running that distance or in that heat!  So I think I will take the challenge of now signing up for a 10 mile run or maybe even a half marathon, since I know for sure I can handle 9 miles and mentally I should be able to prepare for that! 
But it will, for sure, be for a race hosted in the fall or even in the dead of winter - 100 degrees is just TOO hot!
We did end up getting a bunch of free stuff for running the extra mileage and also the opportunity to run in any other race they host for free!
There is always some type of reward for overachieving!

No comments:

Post a Comment