Why is it EVERY year we go to the Zoo in early June and it's 90 degrees outside? For the past three years our June trips to the Zoo have been SO hot and this past Friday was no different - hottest day EVER! Our main objective was to visit the new Elephant Park which has been in the works for quite awhile and we were very anxious to see it...but because it was so busy that day they were only allowing so many people into the new park at a time, so we had to wait two hours before our allotted time was up for touring! So we had some lunch, visited our favorite animals, Hippo, Penguins and the Bears, before getting to see the much anticipated Elephant Park!
Eli didn't want to put sunscreen on...
We also rode the Merry-Go-Round which was Eli's first time. He at first loved it, but then after a couple times around he wanted to get down - I am sure he got bored just sitting there!
We finally got into the Elephant park around 2pm and ran around...
Although by this point we were all VERY hot and needing a snack, so I don't think we enjoyed the new area as much as we should have...
Eli laid down inside this log - I think he was finally cool in there...
I will say the new Elephant Park is "State of the Art" and looks like an awesome new home for the Elephants and their other Asian friends.
They got a couple of new elephants and two new rhinos - which is good because the other two were gettin' old!
The new animals were very active and fun to watch as they played in the water (Wish I could have jumped in with them!), but the animals they moved over from the old area were still having a hard time adjusting. The monkeys barely moved and the two older Elephants just stood in the corner, not moving! We over heard a Zoo Keeper saying the animals were moved over four months ago and were still not adjusting to their new home...I felt bad for them - you know what they say "A Elephant never forgets!" SO I am sure adjustment for them is going to take a long time.
After touring the new Elephant Park we were completely overheated and in desperate need of some snacks. So we headed to my kids favorite place - the water park at the Seals! We got some ice cream, cold drinks and played in the water until it was time to go home!
We had a good day at the Zoo, but I am going to be honest I enjoy it much better in the Fall then I do in JUNE! Hopefully we can make it back in September with the cooler air and get to see if the Elephants, Monkeys and other animals have adjusted to their awesome new home yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment