Friday, August 17, 2012

Shoe Shopping

I know this may sound a little harsh, but I dislike shoe shopping with my daughter - very MUCH in fact!  When it comes to shoes, Ashtyn and I clearly are on different paths...and this proved so when trying to buy her new school shoes on Friday!
I always cringe when I have to take Ashtyn shoe shopping, but with her growing so much I really needed to get her feet sized and have her try on shoes instead of me playing the game of buying and returning...over and over again!  Plus I thought, maybe, it could be fun...
We first started at Dillard's where she saw some shoes with a glass heal and cute sparkly straps...
"Please mom, these are my Princess shoes..."
I of course said "No" you need school shoes, not dress up shoes...and in response I got the pout face.  So we moved on...
Next was Playless, where she managed to pick out the most expensive, brightest pink, sparkly princess shoes - EVER!  Again, she says...
"Oh, Please mom!  I can do my ballet in these..."
I of course said "No" I am not spending $30 on a pair of shoes from Payless that will probably fall apart in a couple days - $10 maybe, but $30 - really! and plus, you need SCHOOL shoes, not play shoes!
Again, I got another pout face along with a
"Fine, I never will get any shoes"
So off to Nordstorm, which always has a great selection and shoes I am willing to pay a little more for...
Well, everyone else in the entire world must have been at Nordstrom that same day because the place was CRAZY! 
I knew I wanted to get Ashtyn Toms again, and knew once she saw them she would want them too...I would even let her buy bright pink, sparkly ones if she wanted...
Well of course she went straight for the ballet slippers, which were adorable but also came with a $75 price tag - I don't even spend that much on shoes for myself...
Ashtyn got SO angry when I told her "No" again and refused to look at anything else.  Not even the bright pink, sparkly Toms!  So I finally told her to pick a shoe she wanted, but it couldn't be the ballet shoes...so she picked out these shoes...
I must say I thought they were very cute and approved!
Plus, they were the best of both worlds - the look of ballet with sparkles and a bow, but still study enough to run around the playground in...
So I made her try them on, and while she was walking around in them I could tell she was a little uncomfortable.  So I asked her over and over again - do they hurt and she kept responding
"NO"! I want these shoes so bad"
So we walked out of Nordstrom with her new shoes on her feet!
After having lunch and playing in the sand, Ashtyn says to me,
 "Mom, you didn't throw my flip flops away right?"
and I said "No, but why" and she says
"Well, my feet need a little break from these new ones, so I want to wear the flip flops."
I got a little annoyed and said Ashtyn if these shoes hurt then we need to take them back, and she pleaded over and over to let her keep them. 
So I made her put them back on as we headed out to the car...
As soon as we got home she threw those new shoes off and got into another pair of flip flops...
I KNEW those shoes were hurting her feet, but she was being to stubborn to tell me, in fear that I would take them back and not get her anything else...
Later that day we got ready for our night out to Cinderella and I told her to get her new shoes...she didn't looked thrilled at all that I was making her wear them, so again I said
"Ashtyn, if these hurt you I am taking them back and we will get something else..."
and again she replied with "They are fine mom"
We had to walk up the street to Emma's to meet them for our date and as we start walking, or as Ashtyn starts limping up the sidewalk, she quickly says
"Mom, do you think you could just get the red stroller - I am a little tired and don't feel like walking..."
I of course again asked if the shoes were bothering her and she annoyingly answered "No!" and kept limping up the street...
It amazes me how stubborn she is and how she would not admit she was wrong in getting those shoes or even admit they were hurting her feet...
She just wanted Princess looking shoes - no matter how uncomfortable they were!
The next morning I went and got her some little socks to help make them feel more comfortable, but still the Toms would have been so much better!
What is it about girls and their shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment