Finally on Saturday night, June 12th the contractions I had been having were finally 5 minutes apart and somewhat painful - so I took a shower, got ready and then headed to the hospital around 10:30 or so that night ready to have a baby - thinking this is it! When we arrived to the hospital I was 4CM dilated and 80% effaced - I was thinking - WOW! that is excellent! Well, the nurse disagreed and after walking around the hospital for another 2 hours we were told to go home because my cervix was not changing enough for them to emit me - Disappointed again, I left the hospital feeling hopeless - I decided right then that I would not return to the hospital until the baby was falling out of me...
Basically, I didn't sleep Saturday night because of the annoying contractions and when Sunday came I decided that I wanted to visit the mall instead of sitting around waiting for my baby to come. We all went to Colorado Mills to do some shopping and the entire time we were shopping I was having awful contractions - I would have to stop and breath through them, but they were still very inconsistent so I continued on with shopping. That evening we went to have dinner at my parents, and again I was just very uncomfortable and really hoping I wasn't going to have to live another week like this - Basically at this point I was just living for Friday when they would finally induce me...
I got into bed Sunday night and the contractions just kept getting stronger and more painful - but they were still so inconsistent - 10 minutes apart, then 7 minutes then 5 minutes - I was so frustrated and in so much pain thinking is this it? or will they just turn me away again if I go in? Finally, at 2:30 am I woke Matt up and said I couldn't take it anymore and we needed to leave for the hospital. While we were waiting for Matt's mom to show up to stay with Ashtyn the contractions just kept getting worse and worse, and by this point I could barely breath through them - Once Sandy got there, we RUSHED to the hospital running red lights and all - I was in some major pain! When we got to the hospital I couldn't even walk, so we had to get a wheel chair - that was a FUN ride - Matt zipped me around so fast I literally got sick to my stomach. Once we got to Labor and Delivery, I was having contractions every 2 minutes and they were extremely painful and all I kept saying was I wanted the epidural - I just want the pain to go away, a natural birth was never a plan for me! The nurse checked me and I was 7 CM, so they called for the epidural - while I was waiting for what seemed like an eternity for the anesthesiologist to show up the contractions just kept getting worse, so the nurse checked me again and I was 10 CM - so in a matter of 15 minutes I was fully dilated, and then just as I was finally getting the epidural I had the urge to push - the nurse almost stopped the epidural, but I pleaded to let me have it - there was no way I could possibly push with that much pain - I was able to hold on pushing long enough to get something to take the pain away - Not sure what I ended up getting for the pain, but 5 minutes later I was finally able to relax a bit and not feel so out of control. I started pushing and about 15 minutes later Eli was BORN! It was such a relief to finally hold my baby I had waited so long for! The delivery although very painful, went very quickly and I actually felt great after the delivery. Once again it was an amazing experience - but not at all what I had expected. By 6:00 am we were moved into our room so we could relax and get to know our new baby boy!
They gave Eli a bath in the delivery room about an hour after he was born. He didn't enjoy it too much...
On Tuesday afternoon we were discharged - Now we had to go home and figure out how to juggle life with a newborn and a two year old. I am so thankful for having such a fast delivery and a healthy, beautiful baby boy. I couldn't have asked for more - My family feels complete now with Eli in my arms and I never thought I could love another child as much as I love Ashtyn - but it is possible! I am so excited to watch my babies grow and I just thank God for these two amazing blessings he has given me.
:( I so remember that with Clayton and how heart-breaking it is when your 'first baby' doesn't want to come to you. I promise, althought it still will take some time for her to completely accept the new family, she will and it will all be good again! Congrats on your baby boy, he's precious :)
ReplyDeleteYou forgot to mention how much he weighed and how tall he was. Looking forward to reading more about your hectic life. It's a glimpse into my future (hopefully). Nice job Mama!
ReplyDelete